Saturday, December 7, 2013

Days 7-8: All the Little Things

I started this post thinking I would write about how I took an accidental break from our holiday giving challenge. I had all of my excuses ready:
  • The holidays are such a busy time of year. There are cards to address, lists to finish, events to attend.
  • I'm totally new to this blogging thing and I'm a little overwhelmed.
  • I didn't plan ahead.
  • I'm a full-time working mother of a 2-year old.
  • It's cold and rainy.
  • I was just too tired.

But the thing is...we didn't stop doing our "goodest" even if we weren't busy posting about it. Sometimes it's the small things. The things that are part of how you learn to live your life. It's those things that are about doing our goodest. We:
  • Bought fresh, organic produce at our local farmer's market.
  • Brought our own well-loved canvas bags to the grocery store.
  • Smiled and said thank you to those that helped us. (Even our little guy knows to say thank you to people who work often thankless service positions.)
  • Drove around our neighborhood to look at Christmas lights just to see the way they light up my son's face.
  • Said "I love you" just because.
I didn't put any of this on our calendar. It wasn't part of a big plan to "give back." But it still is a way of giving. It's giving to our environment, our community, giving to our family, giving to ourselves. It's all the little things that combined help us do our "goodest" every day.

How will you do your "goodest" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment