Monday, December 2, 2013

Day 2: Gift giving

Bearing gifts we traverse afar

"We Three Kings" was one of my favorite Christmas hymns when I was young. I loved the story of the 3 men who travelled over "field and fountain, moor and mountain" just to bring a little baby gifts for Christmas.

As I got older, the song--and the season--has taken on deeper meaning for me. But I can't help but think about the little children who can only dream of gifts delivered on Christmas morning. 

"Guide us to thy perfect light..."

I knew before my son was born that I teaching him about generosity, kindness, and compassion might be the most important thing I could do. So, he'll be involved in this challenge.

That's why I chose to donate a gift that my own son loved--and still loves. I hope they help another little one fall asleep just a little bit better at night. And my son--as much as he can--will know that these gifts will go to another little boy or girl to give them comfort and light.
 


I believe experiences and love give us joy, not things like toys and electronics. But I like to think that these gifts, these donations, these toys are gifts of hope, of love, and, yes, joy.

Looking for a place to donate?

Around the holidays, I've found boxes in even the most unusual places (my physical therapists office? the hair salon? Starbucks?) to drop off unwrapped toys for children in my community. Maybe you can find one too?

If drop boxes aren't available in your community, watch out for toy drives or donate directly to national organizations like Toys for Tots.

Tell me about your experience with donating toys to children. How did it impact you? Why do you do it?




No comments:

Post a Comment